Salmon Youth Centre covid-19 updates
In light of recent government recommendations the Salmon building will be closed to the public from Sat. 21st March 2020, in response to covid-19.
We are working out ways to stay connected with our young people so please keep up to date through our Facebook page, our Instagram page, and our website for further developments. We realise that this is a tough time for all involved here in the life of Salmon and our thoughts and prayers are with our young people and their families at this time. For urgent enquiries and support please email email@example.com or call 020 7237 3788.
UPDATE FROM DIRECTOR:
On the 23rd March the Government published new guidance in order to limit the spread of coronavirus. The new measures will be in place for at least 3 weeks and require people to:
- Stay at home, except for very limited purposes (exercise/collecting essential items)
- Close non-essential shops and community spaces
- Stop all gatherings of more than two people in public
We have already responded by closing the youth centre. We will now be engaging the young people and their families in two ways:
- Through our shared social media platforms (see below article for links).
- Via telephone calls, starting with the 20 families that staff identified to fall under ACEs. Our staff will be contacting those families to explore with them what support they need, and therefore what we can practically do to support them during this period.
All of our contact with the young people and their families will be via telephone. We have set out clear guidelines for the staff to follow. The instructions are that:
- Staff should only contact young people via Salmon phones.
- Staff should contact young people no more than once a week and between the hours of 11 am – 8 pm.
- Staff will log all telephone contact on our upshot database.
We are in uncharted territory, and we must ‘feel’ our way through this period. The Senior Management Team will welcome phone calls from anyone who wants some clarity or who wants to talk to us. We all have a responsibility to look out for each other in whatever way that we can, as we all have something to offer to each other in this period. So do your bit and be a blessing to someone.
We are not alone in this. I would like to encourage you all with these words from Deuteronomy. Meditate and listen to what the Holy Spirit is saying to you through this verse:
“Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the lord your God goes with you he will never leave you nor for sake you.”
– Deuteronomy 31 verse 6 –
Salmon Youth Centre Director
Source: See pdf below for more information from the NYA Youth Work Expert Group